Skip to content
Save to BigOven
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 pkg. (.25 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 – 110º f)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Boil 2 cups water in a medium saucepan; stir in oats and butter. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; let cool to 110º F.
- Stir together yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and sugar in a 2-cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat oat mixture, yeast mixture, flour, salt, and brown sugar on medium with a mixer until smooth. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and divide in half; shape each portion into 16 (1-1/2″) balls. Place evenly into 2 lightly greased 9×1-3/4″ round cake pans. Cover and let rise at 85º F., free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375º F. For 15 minutes or until golden brown.